Smartphone camera vs normal camera

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
_vlad Senior Member • Posts: 2,870
Re: Smartphone camera vs normal camera

Boss of Sony wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

Boss of Sony wrote:

My 3-year-old Huawei Mate 20 Pro smartphone is more useful than my Panasonic Micro Four Thirds camera for shooting sunrises and sunsets. The night mode on the Huawei is pretty good too.

Some beauties for sure! Your Panny with it's much larger sensor should handle these with ease and add in some post processing (like the phone does) and you will bring up more fine detail.

Thanks, but I don't think this is true. These sunset pics are shot directly into the sun. Using my Panasonic camera, the foreground would be completely dark/black, and even shooting in RAW and raising the shadows would not result in as much foreground detail captured by the Huawei phone.

The only way the Panasonic could achieve a better result is by using a tripod with 3-shot bracketing, followed by some intensive post-processing.

Agree - I am a long time Panny fan and can confirm. It is doable - but you have to use additional steps (incl. tripod, and Photoshop or likes).

-- hide signature --

Vlad

_vlad's gear list:_vlad's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow