Anyone try the new RR Big Bend Baryta Paper?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
Euell Veteran Member • Posts: 5,173
Re: Anyone try the new RR Big Bend Baryta Paper?

Adam2 wrote:

Euell wrote:

Adam2 wrote:

Euell wrote:

md lucero wrote:

The replacement for Red River's San Gabriel Baryta is their new Big Bend paper. Any comparisons to their Palo Duro Softgloss Rag or Epson's Legacy Baryta? I have never tried a RR Baryta. I am printing with an Epson P800.

Thanks,

Michael

Had been using Canson Baryta Photographique and Hahnemuhle FineArt Baryta Satin. These papers do not come in 17x25, so I ordered the Red River Big Bend Baryta. IMO, this is an excellent paper with fine detail and great color. Not at all disappointed.

Printed some samples. A bit whiter base than RR PDB 300 and smoother, less stippled coating. Not as satiny as CBP and personally I don’t use papers with OBA’s but for those who don’t mind a few, it’s a nice paper.

With regard to optical brighteners, I have not experienced noticeable fading or yellowing even with 20-year-old prints. Importantly, I think, the color of the paper's underlayment is not a significant concern if there is a baryta coating and there is an ink-receptive microporous surface layer.

With all due respect, I’ve had a few Harman papers with OBA’s yellow after a few years. I’ve made the commitment that my prints would be created on archival, OBA free papers. Obviously that decision is a personal one.

Interesting. I have some old Harman paper that I haven’t used and now can’t find ICC profiles for the new printer. But, it does not appear to have yellowed. Based on your experience, maybe it will, so I’ll just consign it to test prints or something.

As for the Red River paper, it is only one of two cut sheets I’ve found available in 17x25. Choices are limited.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow