Z9

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
dkyl Contributing Member • Posts: 967
Re: Z9 (and Z8)

NickZ2016 wrote:

Sony years ago (Decade?) had IBIS in tiny camcorders. Okay I'm sure it's much easier to do IBIS with such a small sensor but it's been done in small form factors before.

I should have made it clear that I meant currently, whether Nikon has already developed a smaller IBIS unit for DX that will fit in the current Z50 platform.

I'm very sure their engineers are up to the task, but these things just take time. Nikon wasn't doing IBIS in their Coolpix and DSLRs as far as I know so they have a bit of a late start in this field. If you've seen the IBIS units in the Z7 tear downs, it's quite a thickish looking unit.

I'm also not sure whether it's material developing an IBIS unit for stacked and non-stacked sensors. A dual stack will mean at least another layer of silicon and some Sony Imaging sensors uses a 3-stack. How significant is the size/mass of the whole stacked sensor chip (meaning the entire chip and not just looking at the imaging area) compared to a non-stacked chip.

My point was I was surprised at the suggestion to use the Z50 platform as the base for a hypothetical performance orientated Z90 using a stacked sensor.

dkyl's gear list:dkyl's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus E-PL9 Nikon Z6 II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
csn
MOD TOF guy
NCB
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow