Z9

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
dkyl Contributing Member • Posts: 970
Re: Z9 (and Z8)

bobn2 wrote:

dkyl wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

dkyl wrote:

What body do you think the Z90 should be in? A Z6/7 body with more bells and whistles? What would those bells and whistles entail?

It would essentially be based on the Z50, just as the D500 was based on the D7x00 platform. The 'bells and whistles' would be likely be the things that have been discussed here. Replacement of the mode wheel by a mode button, arrangement of the controls in a similar manner to the Z9 and shooting banks instead of user modes. All those things serve to convince the must have a pro camera' people that they are getting a 'pro camera'. It's just repeating what they did with the D500, except the D500 got the D5 AF unit, and that wouldn't be an option for this Z90 - so you wouldn't expect its AF to be right up with the Z90. Or, another way of thinking of it, a variant on what they did with the Z fc, only mimicking the Z9 instead of the FM2n, but with a sensor and processor upgrade.

Ok you’ve lost me here. I think the Z6/7 type platform would be the minimal size required as I think ibis will be a must but unless you’re saying a z50 platform will have no issues fitting ibis.

The Fujifilm X-S10 is pretty much exactly the same size as the Z50 and has IBIS. I suspect that the reason the Z50 doesn't have IBIS is down to two considerations. One is that it would have needed a new IBIS unit to be developed, and I suspect it was a slightly speculative product. The second is that Nikon engineers do tend work quite rigidly to what they see as the main purpose of a camera, and tend to resist market feature led engineering, often for longer than they should. I suspect that the brief was for a blogger's camera, which was how the Z50 was marketed, and they correctly reasoned that OIS and EIS are better for video stabilisation. A Z90 would sell what is basically the same camera at a premium, and that premium would pay for the IBIS development, which in turn would trickle down into a Z50II.

In any case, I didn't say that the body would be the same size, I said that it would be based on the Z50 platform. The Z fc is based on the Z50 platform, and is a bit bigger.

I'm sure a smaller IBIS unit is already under development for the Z50 II so Nikon should be able to fit a unit into this platform at some point in the future. How much longer I'm not sure but I note that Fuji went from the XH1 to XT4 to XS-10 with a 30% reduction each time and that's their main format system.

And I'm also sure Nikon's engineer can do it in a Z50 platform if given that task but when the camera probably needs to be bigger and have a protruding grip and perhaps more space is easier for IBIS, why not just start with the larger platform in the first place, which I think the target market would likely react positively to anyways. There may be other advantages in heat dispersion, dual card slots, larger battery, sharing of vertical grip etc. which are already common to the Z6/7 platform.

Anyways, this isn't important but may just illustrate our different views on the subject. Perhaps you're approaching it from the cheapest/smallest platform that can do the job philosophy, which I think is fine. But I just have a different view.

Ok noted. It really does surprise me that it needs a full redesign to scale to FX and not able to keep the same basic pixel structure. I just saw all the similarities in the catalog sensors with the 3.76micron BSI pixels in various formats as really coincidental.

In the Sony stacked sensor architecture, most of the connections between the helper chips and the sensor chip are centred on the column ADCS. Those are always at the edges of the die, so if the die gets bigger, they move. Also, the helper chips contain memory and processors, the requirements for which depend on pixel count, not pixel size. If you keep the pixel size the same but increase the sensor size, you'll need more memory and more processing power.

BTW, In Nikon world should we not be saying IBVC?

Thank you for that info. It adds much more clarity for me in terms of the complexity of scaling stacked sensors to larger formats using Sony Semi's architecture. Highly appreciated.

I'm sorry but I don't know what IBVC is.

dkyl's gear list:dkyl's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus E-PL9 Nikon Z6 II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
csn
MOD TOF guy
NCB
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow