Full Frame vs Micro 4:3

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
saltydogstudios
saltydogstudios Senior Member • Posts: 2,392
Re: Do You Even FF Bro?

Aaron801 wrote:

saltydogstudios wrote:

Good for you for using the gear that you like. I also use the gear that I like. Sometimes it's FF, sometimes it's M43. Sometimes it's APS-C. Sometimes it's film.

I'm not sure why - you "the real word of taking pictures" - feel the need to brag about your gear to "us the virtual world of posting in forums."

Yeah, I agree... a lot of complaining about something that shouldn't really be so controversial, taking a bout the pros and cons of particular formats. I don't find such a discussion annoying at all, particularly not as annoying as the "mine is bigger" sentiment of some folks who use larger formats and seem to be insecure about their skills. I'm not going to be so presumptuous as to tout my own skills, but I will say that a lot of my favorite contemporary photography has been done with m43 and APSC gear, which to me is a lot more compelling reason to consider this stuff than some kind of chart or theoretical discussion about equivalence. The extra gains that are seen on some kind of tech chart don't always translate to a better result in the real world and there are often very good reasons why larger, more expensive gear might not be the best choice...

I tend to think that each camera has a personality.

Or to put it in more science-sounding terms, a shooting envelope.

Olympus cameras are great for birding because they're ruggedized, weather sealed and their long lenses are light weight. The crop sensor means you get more reach with lighter gear.

Full frame cameras can go to larger apertures in low light scenarios. They also have an advantage in studio shooting situations where your control over strobe and ambient exposure is important. But nobody seems to talk about practical things like this, they just post studio comparison scenes at the same ISO without thinking about how the exposure triangle works.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm in a position where I own cameras from nearly every major camera manufacturer and have tested them against each other (see link in sig). And you know what - I reach for different cameras for different situations.

"Good" skin tones SOOC JPG - Fuji X-Pro1 .

Black & White - the Ricoh GXR has a high ISO noise grain that is just amazing, though the manual focus aids are decidedly last decade.

Sunsets - Olympus Pen-F, I have to work the least hard to get their colors to what I remembered - I don't know if it's their white balance algorithms or what but their sunsets are always closest to what I saw.

Event photography - if I don't need flash, my beat up Sony A7 with Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 - manual focus lets me compose and focus at the same time (no focus + recompose), and the large aperture gives me plenty of low light + subject isolation capabilities. (And the bokeh on the Voigtlander is great - see the RIcoh GXR link above.)

I swear if I launched camera review channel, I would call it "camera tasting notes" because I couldn't give a toss about specs.

Each camera (and camera system) has a different flavor - and sure most of us don't have the luxury of having lots of different cameras so we want the one best camera we can afford, but to openly discuss the merits of different systems - well we end up with threads like this.

-- hide signature --

"no one should have a camera that can't play Candy Crush Saga."
Camera JPG Portrait Shootout: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4492044
Great Cinematography: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4498434
Blog: http://sodium.nyc/blog/
Sometimes I take photos: https://www.instagram.com/sodiumstudio/

saltydogstudios's gear list:saltydogstudios's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP2s Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow