RF24-105/4 performance

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Peak freak Contributing Member • Posts: 931
Re: Maybe it's your copy

SteveinLouisville wrote:

gimp_dad wrote:

Peak freak wrote:

gimp_dad wrote:

This was processed through LR. Color fidelity V2 Landscape defaults. Highlights reduced. Standard lens correction and default sharpening (which I believe is +40 in LR with the R).

Here is a (deliberately messed up) example of the sort of problems I am getting. Focused on the left hand forest and recomposed - about 200m so infinity focus at 37mm. Processed in Canon DPP with DLO and sharpening for best case result (Adobe RGB so colors might be off). To be honest I find it pretty disappointing (the center quality is good) and don't really understand how some people seem OK with this type of result.

Thanks again.

It's a lot easier to debug the equipment part of this issue with more constrained depth of field (maybe harder to find in such a naturally beautiful country like yours :-)).

Not sure if this helps, but here is the result I got today shooting at 35mm with the RF 24-105 f4.0L. Two shots, one at f4.0 and one at f8.0. This is the Art Deco terminal building of our local general aviation airport, less than 2 miles from my house. Both photos were taken from the same spot, about 122 feet (38m) from the building. the focus point was on the Le Relais sign. I don't see any softness on the left side at all. Or anywhere, for that matter.

Opened in DPP4 and an auto gamma adjustment done. That's all.

F4.0

F8.0

Thank you for these. My query hasn't been a waste of time!

These are great, I even find it exciting to realise just how good this lens can be. My original thoughts were that this lens is quite large and heavy for a mirrorless zoom, so Canon shouldn't have skimped on IQ - and they haven't. I do wonder if QC has dropped as they have tried to keep up with demand.

I'll put it to Canon that this lens is capable of results much better than I am getting an see what they say.

Thanks again.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow