The Ethics of Street Photography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 5,766
Re: The Ethics of Street Photography

Biggs23 wrote:

Paul B Jones wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

I reject your premise. There is no expectation of privacy in public, nor should there be. As such, there are almost no 'ethics' to worry about. Basically, if you can see it normally with your eyes, you can ethically photograph it. (So that would exclude hidden cameras capturing images under skirts, for example.)

There are all kinds of situations that are public, but only a sociopath would feel absolutely comfortable intruding upon and photographing. For example, a parent grieving over a child hit by a car. If your desire to obtain a photograph in such a situation trumps your concern for the parent's feelings about having a camera stuck in their face, then you have a big problem.

That would be a moment I cannot imagine desiring a photograph of. However, that circumstance does not change anything. Public is public, and it's crucial that it remain so.

Why is it crucial?

I can easily why many would consider it preferable to remain so, but why crucial?

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
lft
lft
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow