RF24-105/4 performance

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
SteveinLouisville
SteveinLouisville Senior Member • Posts: 1,128
Re: Maybe it's your copy

gimp_dad wrote:

Peak freak wrote:

gimp_dad wrote:

This was processed through LR. Color fidelity V2 Landscape defaults. Highlights reduced. Standard lens correction and default sharpening (which I believe is +40 in LR with the R).

Here is a (deliberately messed up) example of the sort of problems I am getting. Focused on the left hand forest and recomposed - about 200m so infinity focus at 37mm. Processed in Canon DPP with DLO and sharpening for best case result (Adobe RGB so colors might be off). To be honest I find it pretty disappointing (the center quality is good) and don't really understand how some people seem OK with this type of result.

Thanks again.

It's a lot easier to debug the equipment part of this issue with more constrained depth of field (maybe harder to find in such a naturally beautiful country like yours :-)).

Not sure if this helps, but here is the result I got today shooting at 35mm with the RF 24-105 f4.0L. Two shots, one at f4.0 and one at f8.0. This is the Art Deco terminal building of our local general aviation airport, less than 2 miles from my house. Both photos were taken from the same spot, about 122 feet (38m) from the building. the focus point was on the Le Relais sign. I don't see any softness on the left side at all. Or anywhere, for that matter.

Opened in DPP4 and an auto gamma adjustment done. That's all.

F4.0

F8.0

SteveinLouisville's gear list:SteveinLouisville's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow