Right to Repair bill in New York

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 11,298
Re: Are repairs economical?

John Koch wrote:

Automobile warranties protect most buyers against major product failures. New brakes, tires, or oil changes are maintenance, not repairs.

This isn't about warranty versus maintenance, it concerns if a manufacturer sells parts to enable the work to be performed by someone other than a manufacturer's dealer or service center. OEM parts are available for some cars for out-of-warranty repairs, regardless if the owner chooses to do the repair themselves or has a non-dealer shop do it. Some manufacturers choose not to make the parts available, this is what the law addresses.

Repairs or renovations of an old house can be quite expensive, unless one risks using an unlicensed handyman to works for cash. Or DIY and discover what you don't know. An old faucet valve can be encrusted with stuff and almost impossible to remove.

Most electronic products nowadays defy any easy repair. It is cheaper to buy a replacement.

Depends on the product and what is required.

Camera bodies depreciate fast and fail for reasons other than mechanical parts one can replace. Some fixed lens cameras are darned difficult to disassemble and reassemble. They were never designed to make repairs easy.

I agree this is generally true for many cameras and lenses, but as above, it depends on the product and what is required.

To force manufacturers to provide full specs, repair guides, and parts to all supposed "repair" operators could be abused by tech pirates.

The illustrated parts breakdowns, parts lists, etc. already exist to enable the manufacturers' service depots. I don't see how this will enable tech pirates, it might expand the business for independent camera repair shops and provide the customer with more choices. The caveats that remain are how much training will be required, if specialized equipment is necessary, and if the repair shop believes it is financially attractive to do the work, some shops may decide some or all of the repairs are not worth the investments.

I don't think the NY measure will be a boon to the repair sector. Most products now perform reliable for the better part of their expected life. Replacement will be the cheaper option.

This is unlikely to result in a boon to the independent repair business, It might increase the options available to customers for some repairs.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops.

I have a 50 year-old sail boat, made of fiberglass and aluminum, that never demanded more than minimal repairs. Replacement by a new boat would be expensive. But there are plenty of old boats whose owners will often give away for almost nothing, if they know the new owner will take care of the beloved thing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow