The Ethics of Street Photography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 5,814
Re: The Ethics of Street Photography

mga010 wrote:

I read (rather skimmed) through various answers here. But it seems to me that the main point is missing. We live in times where a photo can be published on the net, and it will remain there forever, ready to be found and seen by everybody. For most friends I asked, that is the main problem. A few years ago, the image might appear in a local exhibition somewhere. But the net is a different story altogether.

Absolutely. This is an excellent and very important point. Virtually instant and uncontrollable mass distribution has really changed the issues.

This for me goes together with the issue of a photograph freezing a moment in time. The example of the minister with an apparent erection was perhaps a little forced, and I don't agree that most street photography is about exploitation, but the basic point is sound. While I accept that anything I do in public is on show to the world, I take into account that this is s fleeting and constantly changing show. Each moment passes and will usually be unseen, ignored or forgotten. This is very different from the moments being frozen, laid bare, perhaps misrepresented, and made available for scrutiny.

I can easily imagine cases of people on the street that do not want to go public, as public as the net is today. I certainly don't want this all the time. So I shy back to publish such images of other people. It's just basic ethics. I did it one or two times, even here, but with a very bad feeling.

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
lft
lft
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow