How to install Grain2pixes?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
rdginto Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: How to install Grain2pixes?

Hi there. I was intrigued by this thread, so I downloaded G2P and followed the Mac version of the installation video. Here's a few things. The video is not easy to follow. The presenter is a bit hard to understand at points, and there's a lot of fussing around with converting 2 text files to executables and granting permissions. I would not recommend anyone try this unless you are very comfortable with the file system and Terminal.

G2P is not an app in the usual sense that most here are used to, and it's not a plugin. It is a script that evidently uses DCRAW and lots of Photoshop jiggery-pokery to spit out a 48-bit tiff file. It doesn't even open it in Photoshop for editing. The sample below was converted to a jpg in LR with adjustment for white balance only.

On the other hand, it works! and the conversion, compared to what I've been able to achieve in the past with Negative Lab Pro and ColorPerfect, is very good. Lots of contrast and vibrant colour. Here's a sample, which was from a scan (VueScan) of a 120 negative.

Bob in T.O.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow