Nice hair!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
macrouser
macrouser Senior Member • Posts: 2,718
Re: Nice hair!

I love shooting insects.  There is a vast number of bee species in Australia.  Each has it's own habits.

If you count converters, I have five focus lengths to chose from.  Each has it's benefits.  I have 50, 90, 150,  210, and 300 mm macro lenses.  The 300, 150 + 2X converter, is manual focus only but gives me lots of working distance and will give me up to 2:1 magnification.  I can get more with a close up lens on the front of the lens or extension tubes.

There are times that focus peeking can help but other times it is in the way.  Focus magnification is better for very small objects that I am very close to.  I also use focus magnification to find insects that I could not see with my eyes.

With manual focus, moving the camera for focus can be very useful.  You can do it with a tripod if you place the tripod with two legs at right angle to the subject.

Bees in flight are easier with a longer lens.  I am using Sony cameras so I find that zone or wide focus area is faster if the bee is well separated from other objects.  A focus limiter so the camera does not pick up the distant background is a major help.

It all depends on the subject what kind of method I have to use.  I am old and shaky so am always looking for ways to hold still enough.

macrouser's gear list:macrouser's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a7R III Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow