Macro Assistance

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,625
Re: Macro Assistance

cpharm86 wrote:

BBbuilder467 wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

I would like to shoot more macro shots and hoping for suggestions. I am using the Canon R5, Canon RF 100 2.8 Macro and just purchased a Raynox DCR-250 macro conversion lens.

Prior to trying the Raynox DCR-250 I was able to take decent macro shots handheld. With the conversion lens it appears to be almost impossible. I can't keep stuff in focus long enough to get a decent shot.

Would I need just to use a tripod or do I need a focusing rail also?

Thank you for your advice.

To answer your question, you would need a focusing rail or you couldn't get the Image size and focus with the camera stationary on the tripod. You might not notice hand-held, but you're moving to a point to lock focus.

1:1 in full frame is relatively easy hand-held. Get beyond that and it's a lot more difficult and much easier with flash. You'll need to stop down more as you increase the magnification, so you won't have much shutter speed.

Do you think it is worth keeping the Raynox?

I couldn't say. I have no interest in much beyond 1:1 in full frame and hand-held, I use flash and/or a monopod. I don't like being locked into the range of a diopter or extension tubes. I'm more interested in close-ups.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow