Nice hair!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 5,893
Re: Nice hair!

gardenersassistant wrote:

It's certainly challenging with subjects that don't stay long in one place, the more so when a breeze is moving the plants around, so well done capturing those images.

Thanks; it takes a lot of patience and luck because of DOF and the necessary difficulty of targeting.

Gary from Seattle wrote:

Manual focus would be futile with the changing focus distance and shallow DOF.

I used autofocus for over a decade and never really got on with manual focus on the few occasions when I tried it. But then I moved to a manual focus only setup. To my surprise it has turned out that manual focus is giving me better focusing success than I got with autofocus, including some quite small subjects (2mm or so long) as they are moving around or what they are on is moving in the breeze, or sometimes both. I think it is focus peaking that is making the difference.

I use focus peaking and manual focus on plants, vascular, and bryophytes; but with bees I don't think this would work for me shooting at F8 on m4/3. The DOF at around 8" is supposed to be 2mm. Often, I will target the bee, press to get AF (very fast) but as I go to full press of the shutter, the bee has moved and I don't even shoot. I think BBF could help here, increasing the odds of a lucky shot.

As I said in the post above, I think the key for me is anticipating what the bee is likely to do so I can get a good composition, but the bee doesn't always/often do what I want. I target way more often than I shoot. When I shoot, I then shoot a short burst of 2-3 frames. Sometimes one of those frames is lucky.

But this whole thing is a whale of a lot of fun and looking through the EVF, I get to watch some fascinating and sometimes quite funny behavior. It might be, if done right, that some short video clips would be very entertaining.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow