Macro Assistance

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,587
Re: Macro Assistance

Gary from Seattle wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

I would like to shoot more macro shots and hoping for suggestions. I am using the Canon R5, Canon RF 100 2.8 Macro and just purchased a Raynox DCR-250 macro conversion lens.

Prior to trying the Raynox DCR-250 I was able to take decent macro shots handheld. With the conversion lens it appears to be almost impossible. I can't keep stuff in focus long enough to get a decent shot.

Personally, I would ordinarily find the same. With body motion and a really shallow DOF, it would be hard to know exactly where the focus would fall as you shoot.

Would I need just to use a tripod or do I need a focusing rail also?

I've not a focusing rail, but use a tripod (mostly shooting mosses). It is challenging to shoot even with the tripod if you are going for maximum magnification because of the DOF and precision issues; but it can be done. When adjusting for a shot, I push the tripod from the tripod feet instead of higher up on the tripod; for me this makes small adjustments possible.

Thank you for your advice.

I was trying to avoid purchasing a focusing rail but if I decide to keep the Raynox I might need one if moving the tripod feet does not work for me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow