Macro Assistance

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,588
Re: Macro Assistance

gardenersassistant wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

I would like to shoot more macro shots and hoping for suggestions. I am using the Canon R5, Canon RF 100 2.8 Macro and just purchased a Raynox DCR-250 macro conversion lens.

Prior to trying the Raynox DCR-250 I was able to take decent macro shots handheld. With the conversion lens it appears to be almost impossible. I can't keep stuff in focus long enough to get a decent shot.

Would I need just to use a tripod or do I need a focusing rail also?

Thank you for your advice.

There are various options. First though, some questions:

• Do you know that with a Raynox 250 the working distance between the front of the Raynox and the subject has to be no more than 125mm, and not much less? (If the working distance is not in that range then you won't be able to get a sharp image.)
  • Are you using autofocus or manual focus?
  • Are you using natural light or flash?
  • Are you photographing animals (insects, spiders etc), flowers, berries etc or something else?
  • If your subjects are insects etc, are they on something that is moving in a breeze and/or are they moving around?
  • If your subjects are insects etc and aren't moving around and aren't on something that is moving in a breeze, how much time do you typically have before they move away?

The answers to these questions and any other information you can provide about what you are trying to do and how you are going about it will make it easier to provide you with appropriate advice.

I realized now that focusing distance is shallow.

I was using manual and auto focus

I was using natural light but have a speed light available

Photographing insects in this case. Not moving in this case  but I have shot macro without Raynox with moving insects

So far I don’t think the Raynox is going to work for me and might send it back and use without.

Thank you for your response.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow