***July 18, 2021 - July 24, 2021 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Birddogman
OP Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 8,025
Re: Finally a dog run today

Pi lover wrote:

The trees that got stripped by the gypsy moths have all grown leaves back. There won't be apples this year but the trees look like next year will be normal again.

We had the same maybe 15 years ago.  The entire mountain was denuded in spring - looked like winter with all the bare branches.  I couldn't begin to spray thousands of trees by hand, so had to hire a helicopter (think $$$$) to spray the whole place (which I did NOT like doing but had no choice).  Some smaller trees were lost, but the big trees all came back the next year with no problem.  You should be OK.

The trees that were hit by the plague of 17 year locusts here this spring weren't killed, but now all have brown tips that are falling off. I'm told that the bugs laid their eggs there and that they will now go into the ground for another 17 years as the tree tips fall off. I will try to take a photo of this odd sight..

I went for a walk by the river the other day and an older gentleman was checking out a sign for mooring boats. During our conversation he lamented that people didn't clean up after their dogs. It wasn't from a dog. Goose poop is as big as a small dogs though.

Grant.

Yeah, if the geese take up residence in a populated area, that can be a real problem.  Farmers who have ponds being destroyed by geese know I have dogs and am a hunter, so they will call me and ask me to kill theri geese.  That is not something we do.

The geese at teh pretty wild are wild and migratory, plus there are only a few in a fairly big place, so no problem with poop, pollution, etc.

Greg

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow