Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
brucet
OP brucet Veteran Member • Posts: 3,890
Re: Industrial photography

ashleymorrison wrote:

brucet wrote:

ashleymorrison wrote:

brucet wrote:

We signed a contract with a clause that I had inserted and they agreed to. "No editing whatsoever without my written consent".

Did they present you with 'the contract' or did you present them with 'the contract'?

And did you both actually sign it after you inserted the clause?

-

Normally if someone asked me for a price, I would send them a Quote first - which would simply be for a licence to use my images.

So neither of us would actually need to sign anything beforehand - however they would obviously need to sign a cheque afterwards, should they want to use my images for what had been agreed to.

Sometimes they would send me what they would call a 'Commissioning Form' and they would ask me to sign that and return it - but I never do - because that is just a 'Purchase Order' or the Advertiser's reference, as far as I'm concerned, which I obviously don’t need to sign or return to them - because like I said before, I would just be asking them to pay me for a licence to use my images.

So I'm wondering what is it you asked them to sign or what it was that they asked you to sign here... and also why it was needed in this case!!

They presented me with the contract. I asked for the 'editing' condition to be inserted. They sent back an amended contract. We both signed it. The image included some cardboard boxes with a certain company logo on them from the 1920's. That company still exists.

My guess is that their lawyers got involved and insisted on the editing. They basically said to me that legal action would cost way more than I could ever hope to recover. They are right. So I went no further.

I'm assuming that 'one' lawyer was spooked by the logos. They then went with his/her opinion.

I'm just putting it down to a multinational using bullying tactics. Live and learn.

So if they had told to you that they needed to remove the logos, what would you have said?

And was the company who's logo that was on the cardboard boxes from the 1920's, paying you or did you have some sort of deal with them?

I sure would love to see a copy of 'the contract' that you both signed - because it sounds to me, like it was a worthless piece of paper.

Yes I would have 'removed' the logos if asked to do so.

The logos belonged to a company from the 1920's. It still exists but has changed hands a number of time. The contract was between me and the multi national. The image was captured in a museum and I got a release from them to use the image.

Here's a small cropped version of the image. You will see a certain  motorbike companies old logos. My understanding is that company is/was quick to protect it's name by using lawyers. Or o I was told.

Keep in mind this was approx 5 years ago. Yes and I agree that the paper was worthless.

-- hide signature --

I thought I made a mistake once. But I was wrong!
https://500px.com/brucetreloar
https://www.brucetreloar.blogspot.com.au

brucet's gear list:brucet's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow