Frogs, Alligator, Owl, Birds & a Trick Neck (7/18/21)

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
zackiedawg
OP zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 34,293
Thanks Joachim,

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

Nice headshot of the cormorant showing its beautiful emerald eyes.

They really are just about the most beautiful eye of any animal - not just the stunning color, but within are all the facets that look like ocean reef and sand when flying over tropical barrier islands.

Too bad the screech owls did not hang around. Owls are among my preferred birds, maybe because I see them so seldom.

Same for me - owls are quite rare and I'm lucky to see one in a year.  The screech owls are usually that one that I get to see at these wetlands - as they had been nesting in the same patch of forest for about 6-7 years in a row.  This one showed up and seemed to hang around for a week or so, before it must have decided to pack it in - a bird box near where they typically nest was completely overrun by bees.

Another bird I see seldom here is the Yellow-crowned night heron. Black-crowned are more common.

We're about even between the two here.  Winter to spring tends to have more black-crowned, while summer is the time of yellow-crowneds.

Thank you for the comments and the look!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow