Panasonic gx1 replacement

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
jalywol
jalywol Forum Pro • Posts: 11,053
GX9, or G100

mycroftw wrote:

I am about to retire my panasonic gx1. I like it because it is small tough and capable. Is there a good replacement and if so what is a good replacement?

The most direct replacement would be the GX9. It is a bit bigger, though, although it does have an EVF included, as well as IBIS, neither of which your GX1 has.

If you want to stay small, the G100 is just about the same size as your GX1 (but also has an EVF). Disadvantage of this model is that it does not have IBIS; you have to rely on lens IS only. It does have a more video-centric emphasis, so it has a fully articulating screen. The GX9 has the tilt type. Whether or not you prefer one screen type or the other is entirely an individual decision, people seem to be split evenly on which one they prefer. (I personally prefer the flip to the FAS, but for me, if the rest of the camera has the features and output I want, the screen type would be a non-issue).

Both the GX9 and G100 have the 20MP sensor, a definite step up from the one in the GX1. Either would be a good option. (Since you tend to hold on to your cameras for a while, I would make sure to get one if the 20MP bodies, not the GX7 or GX85, both of which have the older 16MP sensor.  And yes, there is a difference, in color rendition, DR, and high ISO performance.)

-J

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow