16 Unique Features That Your Camera Probably Doesn't Have

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP shinndigg Veteran Member • Posts: 4,441
Re: Telecentric .... or not.

Guy Parsons wrote:

bobn2 wrote

nO Four Thirds lens was ever remotely telecentric, by the normal definition of the term. The Olympus marketing people redefined it to mean what they wanted, which was that the exit pupil was a bit further from the focal plane than usual. Plus, you have to remember that all of that early Olympus marketing guff was comparing with 35mm film, not other digital systems.

That's very true, Olympus was comparing, in their marketing materials, 35mm lenses to their "made for digital" lenses. And it made sense at the time. Most, if not all, other brands adapted film era lenses, which had been designed for the slight curvature of film. Even the DX lenses I used with my Nikon DSLR exhibited more vignetting and softness in the corners than my Zuiko Digital lenses on my E300.

That being said, the issue wasn't significant by any measure, to the eye.

I don't recall the telecentric subject coming up until later, personally.

Every other manufacturer when they made 'designed for digital' lenses also moved the exit pupil away from the focal plane, and there is nothing particularly special with Four Thirds lenses in this respect. With the recent trend to use retrofocal designs for fast normal lenses, this tendency is more pronounced.

All in all, 99.99% baloney is probably an over estimate, but somewhere in the 90's is fair.

Thanks, Bob. As my little "survey" of my lenses showed, there is a very mild effect of that exit pupil shift on some 4/3 lenses.

I'll stick with my 99.99% as after all we are talking about marketing, who generally have no regard for any truthiness.

-- hide signature --

shinndigg
www.pbase.com/shinndigg

shinndigg's gear list:shinndigg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Olympus E-510 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow