Z9

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
dkyl Contributing Member • Posts: 967
Re: Z9 (and Z8)

bobn2 wrote:

dkyl wrote:

I have a slightly different take. And it's the Sony Semi catalogue 4/3 IMX472 that has me intrigued.

I can't see why you give this quite so much attention. The fact that Sony has produced a sensor with a given pixel size is of little interest. They can produce the pixel pitch more or less to order, without a lot of work. For a stacked sensor, changing the sensor size and the pixel pitch both mean changing the stacked helper dies, so whatever, it's a new sensor. There's little doubt that Sony could produce a 100MP or 150MP stacked sensor if asked, but it's going to cost. Your product plan involves Nikon procuring two extra bespoke sensors from Sony as well as their own Z9 sensor, for single models which will likely have small sales. That will not happen. By and large, when it gets bespoke sensors Nikon does it infrequently, and uses them in a range of models to get the investment back. The D850 sensor went into the Z7, and was most likely specified in the first place with the knowledge that it would be used that way. The D500 sensor went into the D7500, the Z50 and the Z fc. So, in your plan, where are these single, bespoke sensors going to go? And if it's just trickle down to the other cameras, why not just bring out new versions of those with the new sensors?

I didn’t see this reply before. 
My plan would only work if Sony Semi was working on a stacked FF sensor for their catalog anyways. If not, then I agree that Nikon would be missing a sensor that would be fitting in my Z8 space.

dkyl's gear list:dkyl's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus E-PL9 Nikon Z6 II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
csn
MOD TOF guy
NCB
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow