13x19 printer that clears clogs easily?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Euell Veteran Member • Posts: 4,995
Re: 13x19 printer that clears clogs easily?

Euell wrote:

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

At this point I don't care whether or not I get another Epson. I just need a printer that works reliably when it won't get used for weeks or months at a time. I'm just printing for my own hobby use. Windows 10.

Also considering a larger printer, but not if it develops clogs.

The generally-reported experience appears to be that, in a reasonable environment (temperature, humidity, dustiness), and using OEM ink in OEM cartridges, (1) recent models of Canon printers only very rarely develop significant clogs, and almost never develop fatal ones; and (2) Epson dye-ink printers either do not develop significant clogs or are easy enough to clear with one or two ordinary self-cleanings. Although Epson pigment-ink printers seem to have improved, I don't think many people are likely to say that a new P700 or P900 would be substantially more clog-resistant than your P600. So the options are:

* Canon iP8720 / iP8750, 13x19", 5 colors of dye ink;

* Epson XP-15000, 13x19", 6 colors of dye ink;

* Canon Pro-200, 13x19", 8 colors of dye ink;

* Canon Pro-300, 13x19", 8 colors of pigment ink plus chroma optimizer; and

* Canon Pro-1000, 17x25", 10 colors of pigment ink plus chroma optimizer.

FWIW, at home I have an Epson that uses Claria dye inks, the same basic line as the XP-15000. At times it has gone more than three months without printing. I average less than one small clog (as shown on a nozzle check) per year, and that has always cleared with one (or maybe on one occasion two) basic self-cleaning.

Have experienced no clogs with the Epson P900, but used to with the Epson 3880. Just costs ink to clean them out.

Have experienced first nozzle clog with P900 after two weeks nonuse.  Cleared with one run.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow