Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 44,843
Re: 16 Unique Features That Your Camera Probably Doesn't Have

SUPER-ELMAR wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

SUPER-ELMAR wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

SUPER-ELMAR wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

What I recall from the mirrorless comparisons article is that Fuji AF was clearly better than even the Em1X for BIF.

Clearly better?

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/stories/fuji-xt4-birds-in-flight-test/

Yes, clearly better.

How so? The results do not bear this out.

I linked the rankings of cameras according to their testing.

Yes, Fuji in 3rd behind Olympus and Sony.

looks like we are oooking at different links because in the comparison ranking article Fuji is ahead of the em1x and em1 mkiii

They made an article ranking all of them.

This one?

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/best/mirrorless-cameras-for-wildlife-and-bird-photography/#olympus

The two Olympus cameras at the very top. Fuji is #3 after the Sony's.

One thing with Fuji you have to realize- fuji keeps updating their firmware and improving. You also have to make sure you have set them to "boost" mode.

Everyone have firmware update, not exclusive to Fuji. From that website the author continually update numbers and recommendations as new firmware is released.

Nobody is updating their cameras in a significant way as much as Fuji does.

Did not appear to help much.

how do you know? How does that change the point in which firmware?  For xt3 it helped a lot

What was score for previous firmware?

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/best/mirrorless-cameras-for-birds-in-flight/

X-T4 + 100-400mm was 67% (perfect focus only) / 90% (slightly soft)

X-T4 + 200mm + 1.4TC was 79% (perfect focus only) / 94% (slightly soft)

EM1X + 300mm was 74% (perfect focus only) / 91% (slightly soft)

EM1.3 + 300mm was 72% (perfect focus only) / 94% (slightly soft)

EM5.3 + 300mm was 72% (perfect focus only) / 93% (slightly soft)

These all look very similar. Except that the EM5.3 combo costs $2.000 USD less than XT4 with prime.

The EM5.3 doesn't do as well as Fuji.

72% vs 79% for perfect focus. When slightly soft results are counted the difference is 93% vs 94%. But the EM5.3 is 60% of the cost of the Fuji. Does not bode well for Fuji.

I am looking at the ranking article where the OLympuses did not perform as well as the Fujis.

72% vs 79% for perfect focus. When slightly soft results are counted the difference is 93% vs 94%. But the EM5.3 is 60% of the cost of the Fuji.

the xe4 is cheaper and focuses like an xe3   How expensive is the em1 mkiii and the xy4? And that em1x?

Fuji with expensive prime is marginally better at much, much higher price. Not sure anyone would notice 7% improvement in focus rate but they will sure notice the extra $2.000 and 1.000g to takes to arrive there.

it depends what you are shooting with  Fuji has lighter alternatives with better AF and weight depending what you are doing

And again, that' snot even counting the usability and workflow of seeing dynamic focus points no the object your re following by grid and other options that Olympus doesn't have.

Did that affect the authors results? Does not appear so.

They are not talking about that so we don't know specifically on that end. I however, I can tell you that this makes for a big difference in usability.

Usability of XT4? What moving subjects did you shoot with it?

shot with xe3- which shares what I am talking about  moving subjects : people on the street doing different things Sony a6000 (the first one) does this

again- once Olympus included a step in this direction it was lauded as a n advance - and it is!  Still not at the same level

Otherwise when Olympus just added the ability to follow with squares whole region, people were lauding it (along with one or two Olympus visionaries). A feature that Fuji and Sony had for years, and there's still as I say a lack of UI feedback options in Olympus so it's not quite there yet.

Two more things to consider: Fuji will AF into the dark a bit better than the Olympus. Ditto for higher iso image quality and detail.

Not the XT4. Have you used?

I have use the X-E3, I have used the EM1X. The XT4 does better than the XE3 and using the XE3 as baseline, I get an idea, plus see below.

Usability of XT4? What moving subjects did you shoot with it? What birds/wildlife you shoot with EM1X? Sports? It does not sound like you are experienced in this.

Sounds like you kiss the fact the xe3 has the usability I am talking about and it’s nowhere to be found in the em1x or em1.3

Yes no have some experience with Olympus cameras and Fuji’s

The EM1X able to focus and track in lower light. But that may be due to f/1.2 prime on Olympus vs f/1.4 prime on Fuji.

I didn't say the EM1X can't track in lower light but that Fuji can track in lower light than the Olympus. It's also in their manufacturer specification's claims for both manufacturers.

When you use EM1X and f/1.2 lens next to XT4 and f/1.4 lens you realize the truth. The EM1X able to focus and track in lower light. I am starting to think you have no experience with what you say.

You are misrepresenting what I just said and I just clarified - you can track with em1x on lower light  Fuji just gives you a bit added ability into more dark

so I am not saying the em1x is bad as much as Fuji is just a notch better

I am not going to continue the back and forth  - do this with latest firmware and see for yourself nor don’t

*shrugs*

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow