RF24-105/4 performance

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Peak freak Contributing Member • Posts: 931
Re: My own idiosyncratic lens testing criteria

SteveinLouisville wrote:

but 2d target doesn't look like this

Canon RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM Lens Image Quality (the-digital-picture.com)

Neither of those examples look good. I am not sure it if is the resolution of the upload, the screen I am using that is displaying them or something else. Was the focus point on the tree? Is this a tiny postage stamp sized crop or a large part of the frame?

I haven't had my RF 24-105 f4.0L very long, so I haven't shot any landscapes with it yet. If 35mm is critically important, the small RF 35mm 1.8 is excellent. Here is one I shot with it at f8.0 with it last fall in a local park. I used auto focus point selection and it chose the strand of branches with leaves at the top. This is uncropped.

If I can swing by the park today, I will shoot some test shots with my zoom and see what kind of results I get at 35-40mm.

Cherokee Park, Louisville, KY

Thanks for your input.

They are low quality (compressed) 100% near edge crops. The comparison wasn't specifically about the inherent quality of the lens, but the relative quality between different F/L's. All else being equal, 42mm is great, 35mm is soft - I expected better from 35mm, it's not an extreme F/L.

Here is the 35mm image for context. I don't think the technicals are that relevant because with the same focus point and settings, 42mm is fine - if anything 42mm is slightly more demanding because of DoF and magnification.

And the similar shot at 42mm. Same focal point and exp.

Check out the fence posts in the background. At 35mm well outside DoF/CoC. At 42mm acceptable, to me. Something not right.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow