Z9

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
dkyl Contributing Member • Posts: 970
Re: Z9 (and Z8)

bobn2 wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

Thom Hogan has a recent article on what he thinks Nikon will be producing over the next couple of years. He lists out the various model possibilities and gives his opinion on how likely they are.

There are a few sensor related things in Thom's article that I think are somewhat wide of the mark, but there is at least the range planning logic that seems to be missing in some places here.

His summary at the end of the article basically opines that a Z8 is unlikely. He also opines on where the Z7 will go.

Bottom line is that when he counts up the models that Nikon is likely to produce it comes to as many models as Nikon can realistically manufacture and ship in the coming couple of years. There's no room for a Z8 in the next two years.

I agree with him on that. I also agree with him that a Z90 (and called that) is not unlikely. It would be an exercise more or less like the D500, take the stock DX camera platform and add enough bells and whistles so that those that wanted to could convince themselves that it was a 'baby Z9'. It also has the advantage of additional reach for birders and action photographers on a budget, if they give it enough pixels. Sony has announced a 43MP APS-C stacked sensor (IMX671AQR) so putting that in the Z90 would provide a parallel to the Z9. They might well be planning it as a surprise, as the D500 was, smuggled into the D5 launch. I think this is far, far more likely than a 'Z8'. There is no additional sensor cost (or at least, the sensor development cost is shared with Fujifilm and Sony Imaging), and if Fuji and Sony are releasing cameras with that sensor, Nikon more or less has to.

What body do you think the Z90 should be in? A Z6/7 body with more bells and whistles? What would those bells and whistles entail?

I’ll be very interested in that IMX671AQR. Is it similar to the IMX472? If so, should we expect a FX version?

dkyl's gear list:dkyl's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus E-PL9 Nikon Z6 II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
csn
MOD TOF guy
NCB
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow