***July 18, 2021 - July 24, 2021 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Birddogman
OP Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,857
Re: Some of my WWII series

aSevenArr wrote:

Birddogman wrote:

Highlanders in England just before D-Day:

They are from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders regiment.

Between Dunkirk and D-Day they were deployed mostly in training and protecting airfields and other sites in England, including Manchester, as part of 44th AA Brigade

They were deployed after D-Day, in August 1944, in support of the First Canadian Army, landing at Juno Beach.

Thanks for the info.  I didn't know that.

What is supposedly the largest WWII reenactment in the world, astoundingly, takes place near here  WWII Weekend  .  It didn't happen last year due to Covid and we were away sailing this year, but I try to go when I can and take advantage of the many great photo ops.  There are dozens of planes, hundreds of vehicles of all sorts and thousands os reenactors representing pretty much all of the players in WWII.

The difficult part is getting photographs that don't show the huge crowds in modern clothes, but it can be done - Photoshop helps, too.

My real father as 10st Airborne and fought his way across Europe.  He was a violent and dangerous man, which is why I was raised by my PA Dutch grandparents - it was said that the war turned him mean.  Dunn about the truth of that, but all the men I grew up with were vets and I've been a WWII buff all my life.

I have ZERO desire to see any kind of reenactment of "my" war (Vietnam), which was nothing but a tragic waste of lives on both sides, but oddly, WWII interests me,

A few more pics:

French babe:

Wildcat pilot getting ready to be launched from his carrier in the Pacific:

Postcard from Waffen SS trooper on the eastern front

Tommy with Vickers gun:

Rotte Kreutz

Waffen SS officer in Kubelwagen:

Infantry:

US Navy Wildcat attacking incoming Japanese Torpedo bombers at Midway:

Early morning take off from England on a mission over Berlin

Tiger crewman:

Greg

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow