* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #690 on 2021 07 14 *

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Fox328 Senior Member • Posts: 1,636
Re: Exploring a Matador

RoelHendrickx wrote:

February 2020 marked the last time that we really traveled abroad (except for the odd little trips just across the French and Dutch borders, to visit an exhibition or go for a walk - nd except for that short window in the summer of 2020 when travel was briefly allowed and we spent two weeks in the German countryside, driving our car and riding our bikes).

That last trip by plane took us to Madrid for an extended weekend citytrip.

One of the landmarks we visited on that trip, was the Plaza de Toros.

On the square surrounding this impressive bullring are several statues, and the one shown in three of these images, is the most dynamic of those.

I am showing four images here, taken on various moments before and after our visit, to illustrate the way I am seldom satisfied with the first image I make of any object or location.

It can happen that the very first image is immediately the best, but more often, there is a benefit in exploring angles and perspectives and focal lengths. You be the judge.

One of my standard approaches :photographing someone photographing the object

From one of the balconies of the bullring : a telephoto image showing how the statue "levitates". Waiting for a background with zero cars proved impossible. The selfie-takers were an opportunity I could not let pass, and fortunately, the cars in the background are nothing else than two Madrilene taxis in Spanish colours. Imagine this with a blue garbage truck. Not the same.

Back on the square, and looking at another statue, the idea germinated to photograph the statue in relation to the actual bull ring.

... which led to this final composition. I shot from nearby with wide angle and avoided the pavement in order to eliminate all hints of contemporary aspects (pedestrians, etc) and give the image a certain abstraction and timelessness.

This is difficult one.

What i like about the first one is that the centerpoint is not formed by the statue but by the group. The statue is merely an object proving the fact that "we've been there". The second one is more like "I've been there" but also shows us the funny fact that although the statue refers to tradition and a classical past it is surrounded by a very busy road. The third gives us the suggestion for the last which probably is the most beautiful picture of the series but doesn't give us the story of the first two ones. If i have to choose I will pick the second one as the winner.

Fox328's gear list:Fox328's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow