Is my thinking about equivalence right?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
rgs_45
rgs_45 Senior Member • Posts: 1,357
Re: Is my thinking about equivalence right?

A retired seasoned outdoor photographer told me that don't fret with the "equivalency crap.

He told me, take a light meter and meter a subject (at the time a flower). I just bought my EM-5 mk i with 12-50 kit lens and he had the Nikon 3DS with 24-120/4.0 G (if I can remember correctly). He metered the subject in Aperture priority and chooses F5.6, the shutter speed came to be 1/600th of a second. He then told me to set my my settings at F5.6 and 1/600th of a second and he did the same. Took the photo and when we compare the result through the lcd screen, I could not find any difference in the colors, brightness etc. The only thing I could see different is the DoF. The Nikon 3DS has a much better bokeh (subject to background separation than my m4/3 gear.

Since then, I totally erased all equivalency thoughts I had. Been shooting m4/3 since then. Have a EM1 mk i, EM5 mk ii and just recently the EMX1 since Friday. I also have a Nikon Z6 i with the 24-70/4.0 kit lens just for the heck of it.

-- hide signature --

- Rich -
"A photographer is your worst friend. He will Frame you! He will Shoot you! And if you're one of the lucky ones, he will Hang you too."

rgs_45's gear list:rgs_45's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon Z6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow