Wrestling with Printer-Induced Roller Marks on Paper

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SamuelChia New Member • Posts: 9
Wrestling with Printer-Induced Roller Marks on Paper

Greetings,

Just wanted to share some of my experiences dealing with paper dents caused by printer rollers on Canon iPF printers. I first discovered the problem on an iPF5000 printer more than a decade ago, then more recently on the iPF8400 model. I later realised that the entire series is plagued with the same problem. I've tested several models which all use the exact same pinch roller assemblies in their paper path and they all mark very soft paper (Canson's cotton-based papers are particularly soft). I've also come to realise/discover reports over the years that some Epson and HP printer models also mark softer papers. My findings may or may not also be of interest to owners of those printers.

Eventually, after a lot of going back and forth with Canon service, I decided to go DIY, reducing the spring force exerted by the pinch roller assemblies which turned out to work extremely well for my purposes. I've written in extensive detail (over 5500 words) an article I've published on my website, alongside many pictures that illustrate the steps I took to deal with this issue. Feel free to check it out if you wish.

It is entirely possible to use coil springs of different gauge and length and number of coils (you're kind of limited in diameter owing to the design of the part) to vary the amount of spring force to suit the types of paper you like to use. Stiffer papers need more force to hold down the paper, obviously. My numbers in the article should give you some idea of what ballpark figures to start with, if you plan on doing this to your printers.

I've not been enamoured by the latest generation printers from all of the Big Three, so perhaps this information, while very, very late to the party, might still be relevant in light of this, as we struggle with the care and feeding of these recalcitrant beasts, rather than replace them with a newer yet crappier printer. Good luck and take care.

Samuel

https://cacaoeditions.com/printer-roller-marks/

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow