***July 18, 2021 - July 24, 2021 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 6,380
Re: CALLING DAK!!!???

Birddogman wrote:

We have been seeing awful images on the news of flooding in the Ruhr area of Germany. I'm REALLY hoping that this has not affected you or yours, but am worried that I haven't seen you post in a while.

Please let us know if all is OK.

Greg

We've seen embarrassingly little of it. We don't have a basement, and the next body of water (admittedly 1/4mi away from our house) is the (Datteln-Hamm) canal which is not primarily fed by rain water and apparently will not be used as a buffer to a significant degree: it's right next to a train line, and both canal and train line are support lines for coal power plants. So they probably would not really want to flood the canal.

Dortmund (10mi South) has seen some significant flooding, Hagen (30mi or so) has taken quite serious damage.

We didn't even have water creeping in under the doors (something which does happen occasionally with rainfall).

The lady of the stables already had a cold (no COVID according to rapid testing) before the rain started: I think riding lessons were mostly replaced with theory sessions (under the stable roof) for the two days that we had heavy rainfall here. My mother is probably 8mi away from the town of Stolberg (which has taken serious damage as well) and also has not been affected. Haven't specifically asked my brother in Mülheim an der Ruhr but guess I'd have heard if he had been affected.

I've just been busy working out a proper crossover for a big keyboard amp after getting a new horn speaker driver and only then figuring out that the bass speaker is 4Ohms rather than the 8Ohms the crossover I used had been designed for. Dug out some bipolar capacitors I had from previous experiments, entered simulations into Spice, unwound some inductance until it fit, made measurements and played around. This is a remodeled mess but I probably will get around further modifications wasting energy even though the bass speaker apparently is not much good above 600Hz and the horn speaker driver cannot really take over below 800Hz. But the hole does not seem too bad after all the meddling.

In short, I goofed around with stuff I am formally qualified for instead of photography.

The main effect of the floodings we've had is that visitors postponed because their trains would not likely have gone through in the followup days.

-- hide signature --

Dak

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow