M6II+32mm/1.4 & R6+50mm/1.8 Comparison

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Miguel-C
Miguel-C Senior Member • Posts: 2,149
Re: M6II+32mm/1.4 & R6+50mm/1.8 Comparison

nnowak wrote:

Larawanista wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to create this comparison.

I think the image quality from these two lenses is actually quite similar. Any perceived slight difference in sharpness/contrast is more likely due to the images not being at equivalent apertures (the 50mm would need to be at f/2.2) than the optical capabilities of the lenses. The only real fault that stands out to me is that the bokeh can get a bit crunchy in some of the samples, but sometimes the 50mm looks worse and sometimes the 32mm looks worse.

You're welcome!

Bokeh was bad for both on grassy background, or essentially when the blurred elements are granularly busy. With less busy background elements, both lenses can produce smoother bokeh. I'll share some of these photos as soon as I wrap up on post for the client.

Yes, the busy background can be challenging. While not as sharp, the samples I have seen from the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 in EF-M mount appear to have slightly better rendering of the bokeh than the EF-M 32mm f/1.4. I guess that is the trade off for ultimate sharpness.

I can vouch for this, the 30mm sigma really is my pick for out of focus area in this focal length:

-- hide signature --

Cordial Regards

Miguel-C's gear list:Miguel-C's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow