How to have my photography appreciated, or mean something?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,936
Re: How to have my photography appreciated, or mean something?

In a way you have answered your own question. If you want people to hear your music you have to get gigs. Or make gigs. If you want people to see your photos you have to do the equivalent -- get them out in front of an audience.

One of the easiest and most effective way to start is online with social media. Set up an account for your photography and start posting 3 or 4 images a week. Then interact -- seek out people whose work you can like and comment. Friend, follow, and communicate. Don't expect to be a star overnight, but if you keep at it for a few months you can build a true following -- people who are genuinely interested in what you do.

I have found Facebook great for making local connections -- people and groups I can actually meet and hang out with. And in those groups are shop and gallery owners who I can approach if I want to show and sell prints, or I can find ideas of local spaces to show.

If you want to show in person you can likely find opportunities. Art and craft fairs are one possibility. Then there are local galleries. I'm in a town of 4,000 people, but within a hundred mile radius there are probably between 25 and 50 shops and galleries that sell art and decor as a part of their business. In most cities of any size there is some kind of an 'arts district' -- either formal or informal. Find yours and make the rounds. You don't have to show anything or say anything at first, maybe just walk around to get a feel for the area and what kinds of art places are showing.

And there are any number of creative and guerilla ways to show. Years ago a friend did a show in an elevator. He taped 8 or 10 prints to the walls, brought in a stool, and spent an afternoon riding up and down talking to anyone who was interested, Another friend did a couple of outdoor shows in an alley in the industrial district. She got permission from a building owner to use the back wall of an old warehouse, rigged solar powered garden lights, and hung 20 or so spray paint works. She had a good social media following and was able to attract several hundred viewers.

And so on ... The bottom line is no one will see it unless you put it out there.

Gato

-- hide signature --

Personal pictures, kitty cats, road trips, and rural nostalgia:
https://www.instagram.com/j.r.sprawls/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow