Help please. What am I doing wrong?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,268
Re: Help please. What am I doing wrong?

Adsum wrote:

I'm 77 years old and not very good when it comes to the finer points of taking photographs. Preferring to happily snap away in auto mode and experimenting with P and A settings occasionally. I used to be able to take crisp photos with my Panasonic FZ1000 but recently all my photos are coming out like this......I have tried different settings but nothing seems to help and I'm becoming disillusioned with my photos. I know it's me, so if anybody can look at my photos and tell me where they think I am going wrong I would be grateful. Thank you in advance.

My very first impression was these are just boring scenes that lack a subject*. The other photos in your gallery are nothing like this. Perhaps zooming into "Lady with Dog" and "Couple with Dog" would have eliminated all the boring empty space that is detracting from your photo.

I run into similar situations. I'll go to the beach and there's just nothing happening. It's not possible to turn a boring scene into something interesting so I'll move on and photograph something completely different. Were there any crabs crawling around those wet rocks? Shorebirds? Driftwood or other strange detritus that the tide brought in? Anyone else around jogging or with a more active dog? "Couple with Dog" has some interesting reflections of the couple on the wet sand.

"Couple with Dog" also has a freighter floating in mid-air right on the horizon. I would have used maximum zoom and taken photos of that - even though the photo would be very blurry. How often do you see 100K tons flying through the air?

*"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." [Jim Richardson]

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow