How to have my photography appreciated, or mean something?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Eddie Rizk Senior Member • Posts: 1,096
The Camera is the Second Most Powerful Communication Tool on Earth.

The camera is the second most powerful communication tool on Earth, next to the pen, or I should say the keyboard, in the 21st century.  It's more than a hobby for me.  It's a way to move real estate.  It's a way to keep in touch with friends and family, as well as clients.

The purely artistic pictures require an additional effort to get appreciation and meaning from.  Such activities, many of which are well enumerated here already, are less interesting than the photography itself.  I personally have sold a few at a friend's gallery, which is no longer in business, hung a few prints on my wall, and given a few prints away as gifts.  If you want your purely artistic shots to be appreciated and have meaning, you have to print, and you have to do something with the prints.  I guess you can enter online contests and use digital frames, but there's nothing like a big print.

Film photography was a major PITA.  I gave it up in 1995, when I lost my darkroom to my second son.  I started back in 2009, after the economy crashed, to save money on my real estate business.  Well, I liked my pictures better than the ones I had been paying for, I liked digital better than I ever did film, and photography quickly became an end unto itself.  (My pictures weren't better, initially, because I was a better photographer, they were better, because I know how I like to see properties and because I was visiting the property many times at different times of day and could take each shot as many times as I wanted in morning or afternoon light.)  When times got better, I kept doing my own photography and do some for other real estate brokers and developers.

I don't always take my camera to parties and events.  I do, if I think they will be visually interesting, or if people ask me to bring the camera.  People like having some good photos of events they attend.  Even on the screen, the pictures enhance stories I tell about where I've been.  I shot two weddings as a gift to friends.

Carry the camera more often and use the photographs.

-- hide signature --

That's my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.
Eddie Rizk
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.
Formerly "Ed Rizk"
My email was hacked and unrecoverable along with all associated accounts, so I got permission to create a new one.

Eddie Rizk's gear list:Eddie Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow