How to have my photography appreciated, or mean something?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
AstroVagabond
AstroVagabond Contributing Member • Posts: 652
Re: How to have my photography appreciated, or mean something?

I can’t relate to your situation but I did enjoy reading your thoughtful presentation.

I’m passionate about learning. Learning is my life’s journey. Photography was just another opportunity for me to learn something new. For a couple of years I took what I learned and made money as a side hustle providing headshots and portraits. Even then it was more about learning how to get clients, how to build out a studio, how to light, how to post process, and how to leave the client satisfied. Photography was just the vehicle to learn and push myself to improve.

I know you have a day job. I had one as well when I had my studio so I can appreciate the challenges of time management.

However if you want people to see your work, I’m sure you already know this, you’ll need to build a plan and spend the time to do outreach so people can see your work. I don’t know your photography genre but I would start by categorizing your images. Then pick the best ones. Frame a few of the best ones which you think others may find interesting.

Look to join a photography club in your area. Build a network of people who have done what you would like to do. Pick their brains. Search through your local area for opportunities to hang some of your images on a consignment basis. Create an Instagram account and post images with the goal of building followers. I’d forget posting your images here because someone will try and hijack your thread to talk about micro four thirds. 

I know you know this. If you want something to happen it is up to you to make it happen. It’s up to you to put forward the extra effort. Nobody is going to do it for you.

Clearly if you put your mind to it and lean into it you could get the visibility for your images and even make money from them. You know this through your guitar journey. You know how much effort you put in to learn and get gigs. You know what it feels like to play in front of an audience and hear their applause.

You are accomplished in something many others long to do but can’t get done. Seems either you launch a full out effort around your photography or you forget it and enjoy the music you make and the people your music entertains.

My apologies if none of this is helpful.

AstroVagabond's gear list:AstroVagabond's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow