M4/3 for birding

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Ontarian Senior Member • Posts: 1,925
Re: M4/3 for birding

jeffharris wrote:

Ontarian wrote:

Thanks Jack. I

've been looking at those lighter ones, but haven't had a chance to any of them. Local stores are still stock out of most anything. I don't think though that I want a substantial grip on the body and a good size viewfinder as that's what I'm used to. The smaller of the M4/3 at first glance don't seen to be a fit.

I happily used a GX8 and PL 100-400mm (until the lens broke) for some bird photography, but mainly bugs, reptiles, amphibians, flowers and stuff.

The PL 100-400mm is quite good for close-up photography, too.

Now I’m using a 50-200mm and 1.4x teleconverter.

Before all that I used a 100-300mm v1. It’s a decent lens, not great. It needs to be used at f7.1 at all times.

The GX8’s grip is perfectly fine for larger lenses. I used the 100-300mm with a GX7 with no trouble, either… except for the sub-standard EVF, of course. Even with XL hands, I find the G9’s grip uncomfortably large. The G95 might be a good option, as well.

Thanks Jeff for sharing your experience and advice.

I just noticed that I made I typo in my response to Jack above.

"I don't think though that I want a substantial grip" should have been "I do want", but again I have to try the different cameras out.

Don

Ontarian's gear list:Ontarian's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow