How to have my photography appreciated, or mean something?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
John Crowe
John Crowe Senior Member • Posts: 1,511
Re: How to have my photography appreciated, or mean something?

I have been taking photos since 1979, but not on a regular basis until 1986.

I entered magazine contests back then and winning an honourable mention in Photo Life (Canada) in 1989 certainly gave me the confidence to know that I was on the right track.

Since then I have really done photography for me.  Of course every once and a while I wonder what the point is.  Photography is a passion for me and my only real hobby, so I shake off those thoughts and grasp the opportunity to keep growing.  I am still learning.  Even this spring I ventured out into the mosquitos with my mesh jacket to photograph a local waterfall to get images that I have been aspiring to create for decades, but never did.  I do have to consciously make the effort to get out and photograph.

Over the years I have watched friends and family enjoy my photos of family gatherings as well as a few weddings.  I have printed yearly montages of family parties for everyone to enjoy.  I also did the same for my kid's sports teams.

I was able to display my photos in a local restaurant, and sold a few. which lead to an invitation to participate in a local Art Studio Tour which provided awesome feedback from the general public, a few artists, and I sold enough framed prints to pay for my investment in supplies and framing equipment.

I could make some money on the side with photography now that I am semi-retired, but have not yet committed the time and effort to do so.

I enjoy entering challenges here on dpreview and I have done reasonably well and even won a couple so that also invigorates me to get out and photograph.

I hope you can take at least some inspiration from my experiences, and having doubted my own photographic efforts in the past, I fully understand your situation, and hope you can see your way through it.

John Crowe's gear list:John Crowe's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow