How to have my photography appreciated, or mean something?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Cherry_F
Cherry_F Regular Member • Posts: 398
Re: How to have my photography appreciated, or mean something?

I see you are a teacher in neuroscience, so what I'm writing here is probably no great news for you.
First, there's a big difference between 'get my pics appreciated' and 'make my pics mean something'.
The second one is something one can't learn. One has ideas, feelings, impressions... and try to convey that in a photography - with more or less success. That's the 'author' approach.
Others have not. But they still get recognition. Why? A fact is... People don't like what they don't know, people like what they recognize. This is well known about music. So if you want to be recognized (at least, on the web) you have to - sort of - imitate the style of the pics that are currently fashionable: e.g. saturated colors, "milky" waters, ... Trying to get sensational, meaningless pictures, instead of conveying feelings (which is much more difficult)
Another, harder way is to develop your own way to look at things or people. And make series, being consistent. Then propose them to local galleries. May be you could try posting pics here on DPR and/or DPR challenges, you can learn a lot from it.
I'm afraid if you look for recognition, you have to specialize in some way...
Best of luck.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow