Is there a right exposure for digitizing colour negatives?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
OP Diano Regular Member • Posts: 184
Re: Is there a right exposure for digitizing colour negatives?

Bernard Waxman wrote:

When I copy color negatives with a digital camera, I find that I get the best result when I over expose by 1/2 to 1 full stop. Since the contrast of negatives is rather low, the actual exposure is not all that critical. As a result over exposing a bit according to the meter in my camera does not cause the shadows (light areas in the negative) to clip.

As far as color goes, I really have been able to get reasonable results by just using LightRoom and Photoshop. No special tricks. I normally shoot raw and set the color temperature as low as I can. If I remember correctly that is 2000 Kelvin.

Thank you.

Appreciate your good advice.  I will try accordingly.

I am currently digitizing my negatives with a full frame camera & a vintage macro 1:1 lens,  and a white light box in which an LED flat light is installed, 15W, 1080lm, white light 5700K, & about 80 CRI.  The exposure is F11 /  1/5s or 1/4s /  ISO 100 / RAW file.  The shutter speed now is very slow.  I probably have to replace the current LED light with a brighter one, a 20W or 25W one.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow