Is my thinking about equivalence right?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
glassoholic
glassoholic Veteran Member • Posts: 6,204
Re: Is my thinking about equivalence right?

I used to use DXO Photolab to completely eliminate vignetting (from RAW files). I now often leave some or all native vignetting in the processing or even introduce some extra vignetting in certain shots. I have begun to see how slight vignetting can draw focus in to the subject in many cases or simply just make a shot look more interesting. FF lenses often have about 2 stops or more vignetting than m43 lenses... except for some 3rd party m43 lenses like the Laowa 7.5mm or 10mm, that have about the same vignetting as an average FF lens does. The extra vignetting of FF lenses can be considered in the equivalence discussion when there is already an extra 2 stops or more vignetting in the main image area of the frame (corners can be 3 or 4 stops extra vignetting with some FF lenses).

Interesting technical discussions aside, if you have m43 gear that is enjoyable to use, has specifications that meet your needs (like focal length and maximum aperture, size and cost) and produces files that have the IQ you want and/ or need, take your pictures and enjoy.

I have been there and done that with comparisons to FF... good FF gear usually gets better results but good m43 gear is more than good enough for me.

-- hide signature --

Addicted To Glass
M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me... Make the best you can of every day!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow