Is my thinking about equivalence right?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 9,105
Re: Is my thinking about equivalence right?

Your basic conclusion seems to be that you should compare what is actually available rather than a notional set of ideal gear.  My impression is that is what multi-system users do, certainly what I do.

What images you want to capture and how you intend to view them have to be an important consideration.  For example, you use the phrase “total light” in the sense of the integral across the picture.  In many circumstances what matters is light density in the final image and vignetting only matters if the corners are important to the image.  At the same f number and shutter speed, light density is nominally four times higher on FF vs MFT.

My main subject is landscape with an ambition to view at very large sizes.  The whole point of different systems is to shoot non-equivalent images.  The advantages of my FF gear over my MFT gear in principle are higher resolution and lower noise at base ISO, through slower shutter speeds.  My particular bodies have different AF strengths.

For many purposes MFT gear is overkill, but it is the smallest MILC system and has some very nice gear.  FF is overkill for even more purposes than MFT.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow