M4/3 for birding

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 18,060
Re: Some shots for you

faunagraphy wrote:

jalywol wrote:

Ontarian wrote:

Excellent photos ! I will have to check out the Panasonic GX9 now as well.

I wouldn't necessarily go with the GX9 unless real compactness is a goal. I think the G95 would be a better option, as the EVF is better, the grip is better, and it has the Dual IS 2 (the GX9 has dual IS first version). The sensor is the same, so the sensor output should be very comparable.

I wanted a much smaller body, so I was willing to put up with these inconveniences, but for a better overall shooting experience with one of the longer lenses, one of the bodies with a better grip and better EVF (G95 or G9) would be a better choice for most people.

-J

Seconded. Ontarian - jalywol is spot-on about the camera recommendation and their assessment of the Pany 100-400 vs 50-200. I do not use Panasonic cameras because my needs are best met by the E-M1 ii. However if my primary lens was a Panasonic, I'd own the G95. The G95 has all the best features of the G9, except for the EVF. The G95 has a good EVF, whereas that of the G9 is excellent. Also, the G95 has cropped video. If you do not care about having the best EVF or shooting video, the G95 will be a better value.

I'm not sure about the last statement.  In the UK currently there is a £100 difference and I think that makes the G9 the best value for money not just against the G90/G95 but compared to just about any camera on the market.

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow