How to have my photography appreciated, or mean something?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 21,327
Re: How to have my photography appreciated, or mean something?

river251 wrote:

... I end up with thousands of photographs stored on my hard drives. There are a handful that I think are pretty good shots that I enjoy looking at.

Sounds like many of us here.

I'm lucky to live in a spot where, with the scenery here, I can go out and take great numbers of beautiful photos---give credit to the environment. But putting the effort into going out and shooting, or carrying my gear along as I travel, seems in part pointless. I don't exhibit at galleries, I don't sell photographs at the farmer's market---generally nobody sees my photos.

What about friends and family?

And this seems to me like practicing guitar but never playing out at clubs, restaurants, etc.

I do that, too, knowing I won't be playing for strangers or money, but will play for and/or with friends and family.

I like it when I learn a new song on the guitar, and know that I may play it in public, by booking a gig. But how to get my photography similarly presented to and appreciated by the public?

If it's that easy to book a gig where you are, it seems it would also be easy to find a local place where you could ask to hang some of your photos - restaurants, coffee shops, your dentist's office, other places of business, not to mention actual art/photo galleries.

I've taken photography classes at the local college, and could probably put a photo or two in their show. But what if I did? What if I won? Then what? It seems like that would provide limited satisfaction for a few times, at best.

Worth a try, isn't it? If nothing else, it might connect you with some new friends with similar interests.

When I'm shooting, not only do thousands of shots accumulate on my drives, but thousands of other people are shooting and producing thousands of photos too. I feel my work is lost among the ocean of photographs out there. And there are many photographers who are breathtakingly good, at a level I am far from. Many of them are regulars here. I do spend time looking at DPReview members' work quite a bit.

There certainly are an enormous number of photographs in the world, a number that grows by the second ... but that doesn't mean you can't find a small, appreciative audience of your own.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow