Hiking Telephoto

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
photo_rb Contributing Member • Posts: 983
Hiking Telephoto

I do a lot of strenuous hikes with the M6 II and want to keep my gear weight down but still want to carry a telephoto.  I have a Canon 70-300 L lens that I really like but it is heavy.  I also want to be able to carry it on a belt pouch and definitely too heavy for that.  I've been looking at alternatives and I've decided on the 55-250 f/4-5.6 STM.   It's about 1/3 of the weight of my 70-300 and quite sharp from the reviews I've read.  Of course this would require an adapter which I already use on my 70-300.

I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on this lens but I thought I'd see if anyone had other suggestions that I may not have considered.  The Canon 55-200 for the M mount would be the obvious choice and I've read good things about it on this forum but a review site that I like, Optical Limits, is not that high on the lens so I'm reluctant...also the extra 50mm is nice to have.

photo_rb's gear list:photo_rb's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow