Considering the Shimoda x30 or Peak Design Backpack

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
tonyz1 Contributing Member • Posts: 627
Re: Considering the Shimoda x30 or Peak Design Backpack

MikeNannie wrote:

I ended up buying the Shimoda x50 with the medium DSLR ICU and the small ICU. The large DSLR ICU is sold out everywhere otherwise I might have bought that instead.

I haven’t had the opportunity yet to really use it, but will in the next couple of weeks. We’ll see how well it works.

thanks everyone

I’m still looking for a shooter style bag. I can see situations where the backpack just isn’t a good option, so it’s main use for me will be outdoor hikes in the woods.

I've been searching online for a bag that will carry my unmounted Sony 100-400 GM and one other lens, either the Tamron 28-75 or Tamron 17-28. This is what I’d call a shooter bag, where I'm wearing the camera and one lens and I have a bag for the two that I'm not using. Ideally, I'd prefer a hip belt option vs a sling. I was really intrigued by the Think Tank Speed Racer 2, after Mark Galer mentioned it in a video, unfortunately it’s no longer available.

Most everything that I find online that will handle the 100-400 has been discontinued. Or, the bags available aren't deep enough to allow the storage of the 100-400 vertically. the 100-400 is about 9 inches long and 4.5 inches in diameter (or 5 inches with the tripod bracket).

The marketplace now seems focused on slings and messenger bags that hang on your shoulder. One option that might fit my needs is the Think Tank modular belt system.

Consider buying a Peak Design 30l everyday v2 backpack if that works for you. I use it to transport a sony 200-600mm + camera vertically with the hood in reverse. Works very well for pretty much everything - daily use in large cities and daily hikes (did an 8 mile in one day with it without issue).

I also have a Shimoda Explore 60L - have mixed feelings. I replaced an old true hiking 60L backpack with it but it's not the same in terms of storage capacity. Comfort isn't as bad as some are saying even for long hikes. Biggest issue I have with the shimoda system is that the ICU sizes aren't great for Sony - very snug fittings for the 100-400mm in the small ICU and 200-600mm in the large ICU with cameras attached.

tonyz1's gear list:tonyz1's gear list
Sony a1 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow