Is my thinking about equivalence right?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
RobBobW Contributing Member • Posts: 956
Re: Is my thinking about equivalence right?

Hi Ian,  you did a huge amount of analysis on this issue.  Here are a few observations and opinions of mine after shooting Canon FF and Olympus m43 for a decade.

- worrying about the size of boca(sic) balls is a waste of time in the real world.  
-  having a larger depth of focus is of more value overall.

-  the argument about total light is pointless as what is important is light density.  Yes FF will bring in 4 times the light, but FF also has 4 times the surface area of sensor to illuminate, so it is a wash.  Faster lenses bring in more light per unit area, period.

- my Olympus lenses consistently give me sharper images than my Canon “L” pro lenses.  
-  having a small and light system is fantastic.  I really enjoy carrying around a system that is  one half to one third the weight of a FF system.

-  equivalence, in my opinion, should only be considered in terms of focal length.  Any more is just intellectual diddling.

-  there are many folks who have very strong and different opinions than I do.  That is fine.  Live and let live.

All the best in your deliberations.  I know you will enjoy whatever camera system you select.  Now got have some fun taking pictures!

-- hide signature --
 RobBobW's gear list:RobBobW's gear list
Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Samyang 24mm F1.4
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow