Bevis Gear Top Shelf Bag

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,484
Re: Bevis Gear Top Shelf Bag

Doug Greenberg wrote:

I have no experience with this bag, and though I did order one, I am perfectly prepared to hate it if it turns out to be awful. I am wondering if the people dead-set that this bag is "too heavy" base this on actually using the bag, or not?

It weighs 4.4 pounds. My Gura Gear Kiboko 22L pack weighs 3.7 pounds and I consider it quite light. Does that extra .7 pounds crack through some kind of qualitative barrier? I envision carrying this pack with my Nikon Z7, the FTZ adapter, and the Nikon 500mm f5.6 PF lens. The camera gear weighs 5.3 pounds, that makes a total of 9.7 pounds, and let's add a bit more for that extra battery and then a bit for the jacket shell or raincoat and my water bottle. Thirteen pounds, maybe? And I'll carry one smaller extra lens. 14 pounds!

I am no Macho Monster and am probably older than most people who post here, but I consider hiking with fourteen pounds on my back not particularly taxing, and I wonder how much lighter the bag would need to be to satisfy people who think it's too heavy but who still would want to carry all of the gear I allude to above. Would one pound lighter make all that much difference?

But no, I am not going to be hiking twelve miles up and down a mountain, I will likely walk a few miles on fairly forgiving terrain. For me, the key would be how well the sling characteristics work, i.e., how easy is it to manipulate the bag to get gear in and out, etc. It that feature works well I will forgive its not being ideal in other ways. We shall see.

Thank you Doug! Please keep us informed, once you receive and actually use this backpack. For me it’s not about long distance hikes. Just a comfortable, easy accessible and strong daypack for 1 camera and 3 not too heavy lenses (see my gear list).

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow