RF24-105/4 performance

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 16,261
Re: RF24-105/4 performance

Peak freak wrote:

Dan W wrote:

Peak freak wrote:

I have had considerable experience with Canon L lenses, I have read Rogers articles and so-on, but In think I am a difficult customer when it comes to lenses because they always (well, often) seem to have performance that doesn't meet my expectations.

So, for various reasons I am onto my third copy of the RF 24-105/4, but the first that has had 'real world' use. After cataloguing my first batch of maybe a 1000 images It meets my expectations and performs well - except at about 35mm.

In short, there is always some kind of performance drop off at 30- 40mm, mostly on the left (although centering generally seems good).

This example (IMO) is pretty bad, but the sort of thing that I see happening. Check out the left hand tree trunk.

Adobe defaults, sharpening 25. What do you guys think?

I don't mean to be clinical but look how far the distance is between the left tree trunk and the right tree trunk from your point of view. Thats got be 100 feet or more. Wheres the focus point? you do understand DOF?

Yep, understood, although the differences aren't that much. I'm focused at about 10m (30 feet) f8 / 35mm so DoF should be pretty good. The left tree isn't that far behind the plane of focus. Like I indicated, this is a 'bad' example, but illustrates the issue I'm having.

I'll put up another example.

Thanks for your input.

Dustin Abbott's review and my ownership of this RF lens contradicts your post.  The RF 24-105 L is the best 24-105 ever made

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow