Full Frame vs Micro 4:3

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
aKansasKid Forum Member • Posts: 61
Re: To summarize my experience...

gardenersassistant wrote:

aKansasKid wrote:

gardenersassistant wrote:

The extreme diffraction softening is also why I have to use rather strong post processing to get images that I consider usable for my purposes. For example, here are comparisons for two images. On the right we see how the image looks "out of the camera" (I shoot raw - these are resized from the embedded JPEGs in the raw files. We are looking at 100% at a 1300 pixel high image).

On the left is how that same part of the image looks after post processing. (The subjects are around 2mm long btw, and getting decent depth of field for small subjects is particularly difficult with single shots - and focus stacking is often impossible because the subject, like the bottom one of these, is moving around when the image is captured.)

Not trying to derail the thread here, but I'd love to know what you did in post to increase sharpness by so much. Gotta be more than just sharpness sliders in Lightroom/darktable. Wow!

This post explains the process in some detail as it was five months ago. It keeps changing; for example in Lightroom I'm now not using Autotone or the preset, and I'm now using two runs of Topaz DeNoise AI using different methods. Perhaps there are some other detailed changes that I've forgotten about. Still, it should give you a pretty good idea of what is involved.

Thanks for the link. That’s a very detailed description of your work flow - very helpful!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow